Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Revenge of the Lawn


Short stories can be fun to read, especially when they are humorous, reflective, and contain something a little different.  Well this one did…  Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan is a collection of short stories which provide a flavor of “Oregonian flair” and themes of war, hunting, dating, and some seriously funny tales, truncated style.  And then there are short stories that blur the lines, humorous and hunting related… “It’s very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who’s learning to play the violin.  That’s what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.”   Brautigan offers glimpses into the lives of the “on the farm” or “next door neighbor” type characters.  Folks we overhear at the grocery market or sitting next to us at the barber getting their hair cut.  For me a view into the life of the West Coast contingent, you know what I mean, I’m sure.  This was a really fun read.  All of the stories, 50ish or so, were all under three pages, and some were a paragraph long, so no excuses not to read this one.  Thanks to my RA friend in Third North who lent me the book.  I didn’t lose any of the pages that were falling out!  Add this hidden gem on your list.  Smiles and those small laughs will flow.

2 comments:

  1. This collections sounds like a perfect, leisurely summer read. After this intense semester, this is the kind of reading I will appreciate. Ordered via amazon. Thanks Tom! Jeff Steen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    Great time to do so. Glad you could find it, I had a really hard time in fact had to ask the RA to let me borrow her "very worn" book. I was afraid I was going to break it...

    ReplyDelete