Saturday, June 4, 2011

Magic Time


Sci-fi time once again, this time Magic Time by Marc Zicree and Barbara Hambly (funny how the last two sci-fi books took two people to write them, huh?).  So does the cover of this book give you any insight into how scary this book is going to be?  At least they could have gotten a better picture, huh?  So where do I begin with this one?  Well for one, these scary creatures are coming at you in New York City (these authors must have lived here as they are constantly referring to places all around my place in the East Village!), DC, and yes that wonderful state of West Virginia.  The stories all tie together in the end for sure, but boy the bouncing around is annoying and doesn’t work for me.  First we have the lawyer, Cal Griffin, and his young sister, the future ballerina who studies at School of American Ballet (yeah Kellie!), who find these crazy monsters stalking Central Park, Times Square, etc and then in the coal mines in West Virginia and the powerful governmental agencies in Washington, DC.  Our friend Cal, seems to be the only one willing to find out why and how these creatures are invading the country.  First I didn’t find the story all that compelling and then when it tied so nicely together, ugh! Another one of those books.  And the kicker, this is a series… there are more to go!  NO, please don’t tell me that!  Cal was a nice enough guy trying to save his “dead” sister and how he gets to West Virginia to save the dying scientist and his diabolical brother, but a bit too over the top.  For me, I never really felt the story compelling or scary enough.  I kinda was hoping that Cal would have been ripped to shreds to end my misery.  I guess I was sci-fi’d out after the other day’s reading.  You know I can only take them in small doses.  Skip this one as it probably will be running some late night on the sci fi cable channel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment