Monday, May 28, 2012

Gearing Up for 2012-13


And so it goes… I have begun to meet with the newest cadre of RAs for the 2012-13 academic year.  Once again, I will meet with the new NYUAD RAs hired from our NYU pool in addition to the 160+ new RAs from NYU Washington Square.  I am always amazed at the depth of their thinking, goals, aspirations, and journeys on this earth.  Each one brings a unique perspective to why they are who they are as individuals.  Their family heritage, personal challenges, and secret indulges are thoughtful, sometimes funny, but always honest.  Today I was asked what percentage of students I meet with say they know what they want to do with their lives. I’d say it has dropped a small bit, but it still seems to be in the 60-70% range.  I met with another newly hired RA who discussed how smiles have changed her approach to life.  I am always amazed at how much the little things in a student’s life impact their decisions and also their drive.  So next time someone asks you “you have a minute?” know that one minute could actually be one that changes another’s life!  Let’s start the new reading year with some great books.  Happy reading all!

No comments:

Post a Comment