Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Waves




There are some books that just don’t connect with a reader.  For whatever reason this was one for me…  I will admit I am not a big fan of the author and this “experimental” book was not one that flowed for me.  Yes, I like beginning, middle, and endings, though many may say there is an ending.  For me, this was a complete book of symbolism, poetry, and beautiful writing, yet made little linear sense.  I understand there were six characters who provided long soliloquies about nature, life, each other, and the death of a seventh character, whom we miss being around to speak with, but I found little enjoyment in the characters or their stories.  The one thing I really did like was the description of their surroundings.  So goes the book written by Virginia Woolf, The Waves.  The reader is brought to the edge of a beautiful coast off England where these characters share this very personal experience longing for their friend, connection to nature, and are presented with very long internal thoughts of each character.  OK, maybe I am not the most prolific writer or reader, but I just didn’t connect with this book.  There were many moments of brilliance of Woolf as a writer painting a brilliant detailed picture, but some of the rambling internal thoughts lost me often.  Anyone with ADHD or any other condition that has their mind wonder this will be a very difficult read, for sure.  For those brilliant English majors, this will be a read of a lifetime!  Linear novel readers, this one is not for you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment