Sunday, May 19, 2013

Seriously… I’m Kidding




 

What an interesting way to begin the new RA favorite books by reading Ellen DeGeneres’ book Seriously… I’m Kidding.  I actually listened to this one as we came out to PA for a weekend of fun in the sun.  Well, none of that happened.  The sun never came, and the weather people were wrong, it only topped up with a high of 60, see what happens when you don’t come out the weekend before and it hits 75!  Life is random, huh? Well so was Ellen’s book…  The book was a series of monologues that gave the reader a look into the very humble and caring Ellen.  I have always enjoyed her “self-effacing” style in which she downplays herself and helps to show that she is no different than any other person.  Over time Ellen has become much more of an advocate demonstrating her advocacy for difference and being kind and nice to everyone in our society.  She offers a number of “treat others like you would like to be treated” stories.  She even provides a number of happy accomplishments in her own life, like being named a “Covergirl” – and who would have thought a 50 year old lesbian would be representing the company, certainly not Ellen.  Her best moments within the book were her “funny” moments on how we don’t usually communicate what we really mean and her relationship with her mom and her wife.  The book had 57 chapters of short escapades and stories that were not connected.  As a book I laughed out a number of times, but not throughout.  I have to say I was somewhat expecting more from the book as her show is pretty funny.  Maybe because I was at the gym or driving the car I was less focused on what she was saying, or maybe I just got bored.  This wasn’t her best material.  In fact if you want to laugh out loud, I’d still recommend Tina Fey’s Bossy Pants.  This is a very quick read/listen.  Probably better to use the money to donate to one of Ellen’s causes than pick this one up.  While I do appreciate and value her commitment to others and being nice, I could have spent time talking to an elderly religious woman to give me the same message, sorry Ellen, not trying to sip you, I just missed the “HA-HA” moments…

No comments:

Post a Comment