Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Untethered Soul (Extra Book)


Thanks to the AnBryce scholars who provided me with a copy of The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer.  The book was a gift in response to the passing of both my sister and my mother-in-law. It was a very thoughtful gesture, which I so appreciate.  I always enjoy deep thinking about why I am the way I am, how I interact with the world and my environment, how I find peace within myself, and whether I have realized my place in this world in relation to all that swirls around us.  Reflection, at any part of our lives is critically important, and none more important than at the moments of time when it all seems far beyond our own ability to understand “why – bad things happen to good people” and we need to determine what is actually bad.  The book is a journey which attempts to take us beyond ourselves and find a place of “inner freedom.”  It is very Zen like book, which draws upon the tenets of the practice.  Singer does an outstanding job of laying the process out to begin to understand who we are, our barriers, and how to work beyond them by utilizing real life examples.  Removing the clutter; the messages we speak in our minds are the first thing to go.  What a simple concept, yet it is so hard to not knock ourselves, others, and the various distractions that we see and feel every day.  Who is that “inner roommate” and why do we allow the little “person” on our shoulder to whisper things that make us unable to go to where we want to go as a person.  Shouldn’t we all be able to succeed?  What holds us back?  Why allow these voices to impact us so much?  Once we begin to address this, we may be able to really find out who we are.   What energy do we need to get to that place between where the ying and the yang exist?  What type of ‘letting go’ of our failures, our weaknesses, and uncontrollable emotions has to happen?  Finding freedom will invigorate us and allow us to be deeply connected to a self that is not tied to the failings of this world.  In many ways, Singer is suggesting through his work that there is a better place for us… that is outside of this world.  This is a temporary space for us, a space for us to exist, do great things and be prepared for the more lasting life outside of this world.  Clearly there is major overtone of spirituality, a higher being, and a world beyond.  For those who don’t believe in a greater life after this, it may not be as plausible. But for me, and for the work I do with life coaching, much fits into the philosophy I believe.  Singer’s last section of five, goes into depth about how we need to live this life, finding unconditional happiness, working towards a spiritual path of nonresistance, how to contemplate death (we shouldn’t see it as our enemy – so true, the more I live, the more I get it!), the secret of the middle way, and the loving eyes of God.  Even if you don’t believe, I would have you read it to help contemplate – then what?  Thanks, scholars.  A perfect read at a perfect time in life for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment