Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Tokyo Ghoul


It takes all kinds of favorite books to make the list.   Time for a graphic novel called Tokyo Ghoul written and illustrated by Sui Ishida.  While the illustrations are pretty darn good, the story wasn’t what I’d call super interesting.  The lead character, Ken Kaneki, is excited to go on a date, only to find out that his date is a flesh-eating ghoul!  From this he turns into the first half-human, half-ghoul hybrid.  There are lots of ghoul vs. ghoul fights determining who will rule a particular area of the town.  The ghouls are able to disguise themselves in order to get to eat the flesh of humans.  I only read the first of many volumes, though in the part I read, it seemed like a repetitive story with lots of gore and doom.  I think it has a niched reading audience, adolescent boys?  I’d take a pass, though it’s a pretty popular read in some Asian cultures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment