Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Hillbilly Elegy

Image result for JD Vance Hillbilly Elegy.
Always a fan of friends giving me their favorite books to read once I am finished with the RA Favorites.  So I ventured into the life of the hillbilly and finished JD Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy.  I had great reviews from people on the book, so high expectations.  Note to self in the future, this is dangerous as you may not get what you hoped for….  Enter Hillbilly Elegy.  OK, compelling story of a young man who grew up in rural Appalachia.  No money, no father (well, you’ll see that he did have fathers, but no real father), a mother who has an addict, and too many family issues to go over.  JD shares many of the barriers he faced from youth to finishing law school at Yale, where being in “the network” changed the outcome.  Did I learn anything, sure, but I had the feeling that every millennial has a story to tell, but few have the platform to share it.  This hillbilly did, so congrats.  He should be commended for the great accomplishments….. paying for school through his military service, (and graduating in two years from college!!) and then enter Yale for his JD (same as his initials).  It’s a nice tale, but not sure how much I walked away from the hillbilly culture, outside of this one person’s perspective.  Reminded me of the book Running with Scissors.  Tough and crazy family life.  I wanted more and didn’t get it.  So goes expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment