Monday, October 16, 2017

The Analects of Confucius

The Analects of Confucius

One of the most popular phrases in advice giving in civilization (albeit less today) is “Confucius says….” Enter the world of the book The Analects of Confucius.  While I don’t remember many of them, there was a familiarity of this ancient Chinese philosopher’s words as I listened to the audiobook this past weekend.  Confucius was a moralist, a believer in a higher being, and expressed love towards parents (and those in authority).  Virtue was a thing to be harnessed and shared.  He wanted people to be educated, live an ethical life, and carry oneself with dignity, respect, and speak with integrity.  The book is broken into a series of ‘books’ which focus on ritual, discipline, governance, politics and history.   Here are a few of the statements that follow his philosophy:

The Master said: When the father is alive, observe the son’s intent. When the father dies, observe the son’s conduct.

Do not be concerned that no one recognizes your merits. Be concerned that you may not recognize others’.

When I was fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I took my stand. At forty, I was without confusion. At fifty, I knew the command of Tian. At sixty, I heard it with a compliant ear. At seventy, I follow the desires of my heart and do not overstep the bounds.

When you see a worthy, think of becoming equal to him; when you see an unworthy person, survey yourself within.

That I have not cultivated virtue, that I have learned but not explained, that I have heard what is right but failed to align with it, that what is not good in me I have been unable to change – these are my worries.

When walking in a group of three, my teachers are always present. I draw out what is good in them so as to emulate it myself, and what is not good in them so as to alter it in myself.

What I like about the book is the repeated simplistic ideas on improving oneself.  Especially prevalent is the concept of reflection and working to ‘self-actualization’ as a person.  What better thing than trying to be better and better, yet never getting there.  This is a rather short read but highly influential in its time for the ruling class.  High marks as it pertains to us today, especially with this political world we live in.  Maybe we can send a copy to some of our leading politicians….

No comments:

Post a Comment