Friday, December 20, 2019

Fall RA Book Club: Shadow of the Wind


The Shadow of the Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Simrin’s review:

I enjoyed reading the novel The Shadow of the Wind because the story intertwined so many narratives of different people. The book incorporated magical realism and gave me the impression that I was falling into a new dream world. Specifically, there was a Cemetery of Forgotten Books which captivated me (being the very big book-lover I am) as it seemed to be an endless labyrinth of books, safe from the dangers of the outside world. The characters themselves were each dynamic, my favorite character being Fermin, a man with a childlike sense of wonder that was witty and warm throughout the book. Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and thought it was lovely to read every night before I went to bed.

Becca’s review:

I really enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind. It was immediately obvious to me the care and craft that went into every single line by the author. The parallels between Carax's and Daniel's lives kept me intrigued until the very end, ever curious if Daniel's fate would be the same as the infamous Julian Carax. The division of the book into subsections made the read an easy one, and, although beholding a lengthy number of pages, I never felt I had to force myself to read further. Instead, I found it increasingly impossible to cease reading The Shadow of the Wind once I had begun. There are so many metaphors throughout the book that felt as if they were little pockets of all-knowing wisdom. My favorite nugget of advice is given by Nuria. She contradicts the common sentiment that the good times go by much too quickly. Instead, she asserts that when life becomes monotonous and unworth living, it is these very times that rocket past us; blurring life into one, ubiquitous path instead of singularly unique events. I hope my life doesn't echo this sentiment Nuria expresses. I hope my life doesn't feel fast.

Petuh’s review:

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind is truly a masterpiece of fiction. Naturally blending reality with fantastical elements, this story plays with time as well as truth as it takes you down a winding road trying to figure out the mystery of who Julian Carax is and what happened to him. With a lovable cast of characters, you are transported around 20th century Barcelona where there are twists and turns at every corner. This page-turner will leave you on the edge of your seat, gasping with every new revelation. A must-read for anyone who loves novels.

Valerie’s review:

Zafron paints a riveting tale within The Shadow of the Wind that interlaces themes of mystery, darkness, and adventure. It reveals the story of the unknown author, Julian Carax, and the disappearance of his books through the eyes of young child Daniel, whose life just seems so serendipitously paralleled to Carax's. Zafron is able to utilize various perspectives and character voices to tell this quite heartbreaking story that depicts the complex era in Spain during the 1950s and the narrative of this tragic group of friends. Ultimately, the novel uses these elements of darkness and mystery to paint a picture of the difficulties of life and love.

Emily’s review:

When I received The Shadow of the Wind at the first meeting for the book club, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of reading a book about the meaning of books. The Shadow of the Wind, though, was about so much more than the influence of literature. Filled with dynamic relationships, both romantic and familial, as well as a unique mystery, the book quickly pulls the reader in and creates a fully immersive reading experience. The language is absolutely wonderful and the story is beautifully crafted and true to the human experience. The Shadow of the Wind has quickly found a home in my top five favorite books and I’ve been recommending it to others since I finished it. Absolutely a 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment