Monday, August 16, 2010

The Metamorphosis


I did not expect the book I read to be anything like it was… with that, I really enjoyed Kafka’s The Metamorphosis.   Having read, and thoroughly enjoyed, his book The Trial, I was not expecting this!  But if you really think about a metamorphosis, and what it signifies, this would do it.  When your family relies on you too much (hear this, Christian and Alex – my kids), Dad could transform just like Gregor did in the novel.  When the family becomes self-reliant then poor Gregor is no longer needed and guess what, he transforms back.  Kafka is brilliant.  The story has many levels and I am sure I missed some of them.  The traveling salesman who becomes a “bug” and hissed away, like many salesman do, and like the traveling salesman of yesteryear, they have evaporated, “shriveled away” (I’m being dramatic here!), just like our friend Gregor.  I thought the ending was great.  Poor sister Grete doing the family work and finally her parents realize how beautiful she has matured.   Being captured in a cocoon with no escape, similar theme to that in The Trial (which I listened to on books on tape – a great listen! while Kindling this one).  The translation on both books were well done.  How I would NOT like to be a translator.  Put this one high on the list.  Makes you think how we “use” our family when we need them, and disregard when they become a burden.  I hope we all ponder that one for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, this is one of my favorite short stories.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I think you recommended Jhumpa Lahiri to me before I left, if so, I've started to read Unaccustomed Earth and am enjoying it quite a bit. Hope all is well Tom!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey friend... bad at checking posts. Lahri's book just added to my list (the one you mention above)... Glad you enjoyed slotted to be read in the next few months. Hopscotch is coming soono too!

    ReplyDelete