Monday, August 2, 2010

Adverbs


A very interesting way to write a book by Daniel Handler, Adverbs (it’s the name of the book).  A series of short stories about love and the way he categorizes the stories is by naming each story by an adverb.  Each story has some of the same characters in it, but it gets a bit confusing to be honest when Jack and Helena are in one story and in love, yet fighting about another person’s love or thoughts on it at the same time.  A few of the chapters stood out more than others.  The taxi cab driver starts and ends the book, driving to the dive bar – isn’t that how some love stories begin (over a drink) or end?  There is a story from me on that one, but it will be for another day J.  I didn't realize that people from SF, Cali call it San Fran?  Hmm.  Can you believe that is one of the very few states I have never visited?  While everyone says what a great place it is, I have mixed feelings about going there.  Nothing against the people I have met from Cali, most all come to NY knowing it’s a better place to be (got you left coasters!) but again I haven’t visited so not sure I can accurately state which is better.  I do know the weather in San Diego is really intriguing!  Talking of weather, a bust yesterday for sure.  Hoping my last day of vacation for this group of days off will get better.  Back to the book. The writing was well done.  He includes some nice engaging views on the various aspects of love.  There are a few stories that are pretty out there.  Like the one with the cameraman and the writer who engage in sex at the writer’s relatives house in the dessert.  I guess that was not the “true” love story, huh?  If you can get through the fact that this is not a linear book you might like it.  Much better than the short stories from Fuentes that I read last week.  Middle of the road for me, certainly not a bad one for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment