Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Orange Tree


I have not read any other of Fuente's books, and after reading this one, not sure I ever will.  While it has won accolades and the such, missed it for me.  The Orange Tree is a series of stories (five in total) that I guess are supposed to be connected under the theme of the Spanish  identity of the Orange tree...  I thought that it was a really superficial connection.  Stories ranged a 500 year time period.  One story discussed Columbus not finding America, one had to do with story of a war hero's sons, both named Martin and their version of how their father left things for them after his death.  The most interesting, but weird, was the "Apollo and the Whores" story.  At least I wasn't falling asleep through it.  Had to do with the story of a B film movie star and his escape with 8 whores on a boat, named Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.  I think they were not like the 7 dwarfs in Disney's Snow White.  See Weekend with Bernie to imagine what happens...  The mixture of these five short stories that were boring and unconnected under the title is a complete skip in my books.  Sorry Mr. Fuentes but bring back Alexander Hamilton's bio.  Off to some Toni Morrison tomorrow.

Vacation is fun, and reading during afternoon storms is always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment