Thursday, July 22, 2010

Elegance of the Hedgehog


So, I was in the car for 8 hours today!  UGH!  Had to pick up youngest son from a leadership conference in DC – went from PA home to Philly on a Friday afternoon.  How stupid, huh?  Traffic, late train (yes Amtrak tells passengers that the trains are delayed as the rails are too hot to have trains running fast.  Hmm in this day in age? Weird.).  So, listened to a book on tape.  Don’t read this one!  Whacked book… The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I now remember I don’t like French books.  This book was a series of short “random thoughts” put under the story of two voices, a young twelve year old, and a 54 year old concierge who happen to live in the same building.  This one had a preoccupation of suicide of the young girl, philosophy of life and how literature plays a role in the lives of these characters.  To be honest, trite ideas using the veil of deep thoughts.  Nothing deep for me.  Two really uninteresting characters trying to figure out why they are where they are and you know what? I couldn't care less.  Don’t waste your time like the other million people who actually bought this book.  I didn’t find it imaginative, engaging, or worth a read.  The author's use of Ch. 6 – the blanket blank and switching “authors” was confusing and the style of writing is overused.  Thank goodness I didn't pay full price for this book.  Instead I paid $3.95 for it on audible.com.    This will make my top 10 don’t read/listen to books for sure.  Reminds me of my all-time worst song, Total Eclipse of the Heart.  Yes, I hated that song.  On to some good books, I hope!  Seven vacation days left!

2 comments: