Friday, July 30, 2010

I Am Not Myself These Days


Juvenile stories of twenty some-things who turn to drugs and alcohol and seemingly hold down a job and have lots of sex are really pretty trivial and uninspired works in my book.  Today’s book:  I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell is another in a LONG line of the drugs, sex (and damn, missed the rock n roll – that actually may have improved it!).  I have read a few others of these "hmmm, have another drink dude, hey let’s have some sex" books before.  This seems a rip-off of  Bright Lights, Big City (another RA favorite) and then Dry (ugh even worse!).  Bright Lights is from a heterosexual perspective and Dry and I Am Not Myself are from a homosexual perspective.  All three are dull and done already, too often.  Only difference in this book, the author, yes he too said this was a memoir, didn’t really have an ending, i.e. did he become more strung out or did he become like Augusten Burroughs of Dry?  To be honest, not sure I even cared.  I guess the twist in this book was adding in the drag queen aspect of the author.  Nonetheless, don’t waste your time.  Even by writing about this book I guess I am giving it too much press.  If you really want to read something like this, Dry is a better read, though by a hair.  Was able to read this while sitting at the pool, so it was not entirely a wasted amount of time.  My tan is looking GREAT so thanks to my vacation for being just the right amount of time.  We need to get some of these publishers a bit more picky about what they publish…  Did anyone else who read this feel differently?  On a good note, my mentor, Stephen Pollan (read his Best Selling books), sent me a kindle!  I’ll be setting it up tomorrow.  Can’t wait!  Dogs are driving me crazy, hey maybe that might be a twist for me to use in writing a book like Bright Lights, Big City, or Dry?  I was driven to drink by the dogs?  

No comments:

Post a Comment