Sunday, July 11, 2010

One L


So now I have a better understanding of what it may be like attending law school. One L by Scott Turow was an autobiographical review of his first year (hence the name One L) at Harvard Law. I can’t wait to interrogate my friends who attended law school to ask the question, is it really like that? If he was keeping as many detailed notes as he did, was he really putting in 80+ hours a week studying? Come on Scott! It made me laugh that he decided to change the names “to protect the innocent,” speaking like a real lawyer. And why did he have to add that he and his wife “made love” after the big stressful night of studying for first semester finals. I really didn’t need to know that. His perspectives on the Harvard brand was much like I had anticipated; cut throat and gossipy about grades and getting ahead at all costs. I read the version where he gave a decade reflection on what he learned and the path he chose after graduation. To be honest, I thought he would have gone in a different direction based on his earlier career as an instructor at Stanford. After a wiki on him, it appears he continued the path I thought he’d travel as an educator, well novelist, same difference. Good perspective on Ivy-type law schools. Non-fiction with a lot of fiction in it; worth a read if you run out of any classics on the list.

2 comments:

  1. This was someone's favorite book??
    I read the first half a couple of weeks ago... looks like my life is going to be hell soon!

    Hope all is well Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milan,
    Thanks for the post. Yeah I'd say you will have no life this upcoming year at all! Good luck friend!

    ReplyDelete