Monday, July 5, 2010

A Time & Place For Both: Listening vs. Reading

The 4th of July was a beautiful day in PA.  Hot, humid, and lots of moments to listen to Alexander Hamilton on tape and then hit The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Listening vs. reading.  There is a place and time for both.  Driving as much as I do in the car, I try and listen to “longer books” rather than the short books, though that isn’t always the case.  For instance, I listened to the Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, compared to The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas.  Dumas book took me about 4 months to finish (after I switched from reading to listening) and Albom’s took two days to listen to.  I also listen to books on tapes while at the gym, a stark comparison to the AWFUL music they play at my gym, David Barton’s (which I plan on changing next week).  Books on tapes are helped by good narrators.  Jeremy Irons read Lolita, which was excellent whereas Pride and Prejudice on tape was pretty bad.  The Hamilton book is apropos listening to on Independence Day!  A great way to celebrate and learn more about what happened in the coordination of our country.  Surprising to me how much writing our ancestors did.  I don’t think my kids have written but ten letters in their lifetime.  Hamilton must have written five letters everyday.  It is time to get the next generation to write more.  Hmm, maybe I’m serving as a role model for my kids. :)

Back to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment