Saturday, July 3, 2010

Love is a Mix Tape

Out in PA for a few days, what a gorgeous day with the family on the boat!  Actually got our new puppy, Roman, into the water swimming for a few minutes.  Hopefully he’ll learn to love it.  He did it, but begrudgingly.  Interesting read tonight after a boat ride, Love is a Mix Tape.  Was a relatively quick read, only two hours as the wife watched Law and Order in the background.  I actually love the concept of the book, by Rob Sheffield.  Since he was only a year younger than me, this autobiographic book about the love and loss of his wife (and the music that underscored the book) really resonated with me.

I remember creating actual mix tapes for parties when I was in college.  I haven’t made a mix tape since that time to be honest, but still have the 6 or so tapes that I created.  What great tapes and yes, the memories that flood my mind when looking at the cover of the tapes are amazing.  Those were great days!  The 80s, Foreigner, Journey (dang college kids listening to them still!), AC/DC, Van Halen (my son loves them!), check out this site: http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_artists80pop.html and it will bring back all of the memories. 

A quick review ahead...
Sheffield does a really nice job of using the mix tape experience to describe the meeting, courtship, and eventual passing of his wife.  You know an author does their work when you actually get pulled into the story and you can feel the pain of the character, in this case Sheffield himself.  I did, especially when his wife Renee died so suddenly.  As a husband and father, it scares me.  I wish the rest of the book had as many moments of keeping me glued to it.  I thought the depth of feeling fleeted for me after that chapter and the next.  He never kept me connected, except to review the next chapter’s mix tape list.  For those a fan of mix tapes, the lists alone are a trip down memory lane.  I’m sure others who have had the tragic loss of a spouse could really connect with Sheffield’s process.  I know when I finished the book I was sure to kiss all three family members good night.  Quick read for those looking to check a book off the list.

2 comments:

  1. This one I liked very much, sad, but enjoyable. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it was sad. Some memories with those titles huh?

    ReplyDelete