Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gypsy


Tisch students (our acting school) always want to provide a favorite play as their favorite book.  Last year I was somewhat open to it.  This year, not so much…  so I finished a “last year” favorite tonight, Gypsy, yes the Broadway musical.  While plays are, for the most part, pretty quick reads, it is much more difficult with a musical (you miss all of the extra pieces needed to get the whole experience, i.e. Ethel Merman singing “Everything is Coming Up Roses”… just not the same reading it).  I’m sorry but I just don’t think a play is a favorite book.  Actors, broaden your horizon and READ BOOKS.  It helps with character development, et al.  Reading books as much as I have over the past two years has been the single best thing I have done for my spare time in adding perspective about life – the good, the bad, and all in between.  I would not add this “book” to your list.  Seeing the play?  I missed seeing it with Bernadette Peters when it was on Broadway in 2003, oh well.  I forgot to talk about the story… go catch it next time on the stage, the music is better than the story… vaudeville, burlesque - which is better?  Neither are "in" now.  Back to some book reading…..

No comments:

Post a Comment