Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hope for the Flowers


And yet another kid’s book,  Hope for the Flowers by Trina Paulus, was my latest read.  I really don’t want to come across as anti-kids books at all, so I’ll say ok.  Maybe the meaning was much deeper than what was on the surface.  I keep trying to figure it out.  To be a caterpillar and unhappy crawling around with the one I love, or becoming a butterfly looking beautiful  (and chased all around by a net) and able to fly wherever you want to go.  In many ways the story has a meaning that puts down the ordinary life and suggests there is something always better for you in recreating yourself.  Maybe we should just accept who we are, where we are, and be grateful.  Not sure we give credit to those who persevere as much as we could.  Just because the new creature can fly, oh well.  And then again if I take a different slant at the reading of this, I could say, climbing on top of other caterpillars to see something in the sky that will teach me “the truth” should make me realize there needs to be another way at living.  So heck, I’ll make my cocoon and turn my life into something better.  Every time I read through this and reflect on the story I’m not really sure what it is I am learning… until I realize I need to look at the pictures (much better drawn than the last children’s book I read) and see that butterflies help make beautiful flowers by sharing their touch with each one.  I guess I get it, but I think it gives a bad wrap to those who are satisfied with their lot in life.  Heck, I’m a life coach, I’m not supposed to say that.  Everyone deserves better, right?  With education as the one constant, yes that would be true!  The story reads fast and for kids, may need a lot of analysis for them to get this one.  Probably need at least a fourth grade education.  You can clearly see that my 4th grade education hasn’t helped me on this one….

No comments:

Post a Comment