Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Left Hand of Darkness


Back to the sci-fi genre, this time The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.  I guess I will out myself early in this description, I didn’t like it. Set in the fictional universe of Hainish, taking place around the year 4870, where those that inhabit the planet are neither male nor female and have urges once a month.  Why didn't I like it? Because I guess winter all the time has something to do with it, or maybe I don’t know, because it didn’t interest me.  Sci-fi is an acquired taste for sure, and this one didn’t draw me in at any point.  The strange names of characters and planets only served as a block for me as I was constantly trying to keep it straight.  Ice Age travel, sex once a month, culture, and politics, oh my!  Ai held captive, saved by Estraven, and trying to get to Karhide but must battle the hyper cold weather to get there.  They finally do, but Estraven is killed after having a “close sexual encounter” with Ai. Oh well, no fear the bisexual (I guess we would call them all that?) relationship is thwarted by the suicide of Estarven, well he ran into the military guard (who were searching for the escaped Estarven), and is killed.  Poor Ai, alas happy for me, it’s almost over!  More family gathering when they find Estraven’s body in Ai’s arms.  This one didn’t really have the interest and foundation for the story to be developed.  A few better favorite sci-fis for me.  Take a pass, luckily not a long read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment