Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Manchild in the Promised Land



An autobiography written by Claude Brown, Manchild in the Promised Land tells Brown’s story of growing up in Harlem in the mid-late 1950s.  Hard to believe it is now considered a “period piece” as it is rooted in the first generation of urban “ghetto” life – the struggles with drugs, sex and violence.  Brown’s language was the “present day” slang of the time (I haven’t heard the term “cats” since Josie and the Pussy Cats – remember that cartoon? It refers to a person within a music group, not an actual cat, in case you were confused).  The book reminded me a great deal of a book I read recently, Makes Me Wanna Holler – a view of the 1970s in Virginia.  Woman were treated poorly, drugs were flowing and seen as the job to land a buck.  Role models were not present.  This book jumps around Brown’s early life, from being shot at and to his decision to leave Harlem and get a high school diploma.  I will say that the “transformation” process to leave the life of violence and drugs was not explained well – I thought that it could have served as a learning process for others to reflect upon, just didn’t seem to connect the dots for me, ie why he left that life behind.  The juxtaposing of Brown’s life and outcome with his brother, Pimp, provided the realistic picture that it is completely unclear how one person chooses to make decisions to save their life and those who fall as victims of the system.  How come one person makes it and another doesn't?  Brown’s father had no redeeming qualities and made me angry to think he was able to get away with the beatings of all family members.  The cover of the book talks about how inspiring Brown’s character is for the community, I just didn’t feel it.  I wish the transition was more detailed.  I would have liked a bit more about what learnings, if any, happened during his time in the South and also in the reformatory schools.  Overall, something was missing.  It was as if I was jettisoned into Brown’s life for a few moments, missing the dots connecting the ending and his decision making process to escape.  Good overview of the Harlem life and the “tipping point” to what it became in the 1960s.  Overall, ok, not as much under the surface as I would have liked.  Not a top choice read.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Ellet,

    I saw you speak at Gramercy Green on Wednesday, and I was inspired to check out your blog and also continue updating my blog (it's also a book review blog that I started in February!). I saw that you've read the Bible... did you actually read it from the beginning to the end? I couldn't find a review for it, but I'd love to hear what you think about it!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,

    Thanks for the note. Yes I did read the Bible a number of years ago. Since I only started blogging a year ago, I only write the reviews of my current readings. It was the Men's Devotional Bible which was broken down to read over the course of the year and a reflection after the reading. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to read it again after I finish this experience of finishing this list, which should be growing again in the Fall with the new RAs. Thanks for reviewing the blog and I look forward to revewing your blog. Please send me the blog address!

    ReplyDelete