Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Audacity of Hope


What a great book to finish listening to on NYU Graduation Day where Bill Clinton was the commencement speaker, Barak Obama’s The Audacity of Hope.  Obama’s book follows the rise of his interest in politics, running for various offices, and his thoughts on so many things.  There are a few personal reflections on his own family background and his falling in love with Michelle, his wife.  Honestly, how can anyone NOT agree with his stances on almost anything from family, to religion, to role of government, lobbyist, energy consumption, global warming, international borders and the challenge the borders present, health care, and how we all need to listen before acting.  I loved the friendly barb of Ann Coulter too.  The challenge between Democrats and Republicans was aptly described and with some insight as to how to move forward.  The inner workings of a Senator’s life on the Hill and personal struggle to maintain family balance provided a truthful perspective on why the personal life usually fails for our politicians.  The reader learns about the campaign trail, how our constitution was created and lives on today in the chambers in DC, how values should always play a role in our society, and the opportunities that stand before us.  The book was published in 2006, well before the Presidential campaign, and I can see how it served as a venue to clearly understand Obama the candidate.  Not having read it then, I probably should have done so.  It makes me happy to have a President who not only writes eloquently but stands for something, in fact, many of the things I believe in.  While I am not advocating a republican or democratic point of view on the blog, or in my professional life, I am advocating for education and learning… and yes reading is one of the MAIN ways to do so.  I challenge all of you (myself included) to read the work of our politicians.  Learn what they stand for by what they WRITE.  On a day like Graduation Day at NYU, I reflect on Obama the faculty member at University of Chicago’s law school and say, yes! We need more educators as politicians and less politicians as politicians.  Knowing what you believe in and then taking actions based on your beliefs is a sign of the mature person, a person of character.  If one wants to know how our President thinks, you should read this.  In fact, shouldn’t all Americans?  I think we owe it to ourselves to know what our leader believes in!  Add this to your list.  I wish I had a few years back!  

No comments:

Post a Comment