Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)


I am not an angry person, nor a person who needs to argue every issue to prove I am right, no matter how small or large… yet I just finished reading a book where the author is not only arrogant but redundant (over and over again!).  I also need to say I do not consider myself a liberal nor a conservative, for which many may say, ah he is wishy-washy on the issues, no I don’t think so.  I think poverty and lack of education needs to be resolved, war should be avoided unless imperative (I guess that is a “cop out” answer too), and something needs to be done about healthcare, self-interest groups, and of course equal rights across the board.  I found Ann Coulter’s book How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) far beyond “throwing daggers” to make her points that she is “holier than thou.”  To be honest, I had heard of her, in fact I've seen her once or twice on one of those nightly political talk show discussions.  I thought, very attractive but boy is she overly opinionated.  It wasn’t until I read the book that I understood why people really disliked, or loved her.  The book is a series of her columns that have been published in other periodicals or on-line during the 1990s – 2004.  The funniest thing to me was, darn, she is an alum of my nephew Harry’s college, Cornell!  Boy must he be happy…. NOT!  I had often heard Harry scoff about Coulter’s indignations and other political “wrongness” – certainly she would be in another stratosphere if I had used the word “correctness.”  The main issues the book addresses include “why are we not screening Arabs when flying after 9/11,” “George Bush is our savior,” every Democrat is either a liar, drunk, killer, or Ku Klux member… you get the idea.  She even notes in one column that Osama Bid Laden had been killed through one of the operatives that occurred under the leadership of President Bush (2004).  She had a field day with proving her legal prowess on the hanging chad of the 2002 election in Florida.   Must I go on as she did?  More air time might actually interest some to read… oh I forgot, attack of Al Franken and the Hollywood stars… ok, I’ll stop now.  Is it really that important to try and prove you are always right and everyone else isn’t?  If you like that premise for a book, you will love this book.  I didn’t at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment