Friday, July 12, 2013

Wizard’s First Rule




I’m never a real fan of the epic “book series” as I always tell the RAs. I’ll read the first of the series, but I don’t consider a “series of books” one favorite book.  So in this case the RA noted I should read book one, Wizard’s First Rule by Terry Goodkind.  It’s hard to read the first book knowing that there is the proverbial “to be continued” at the end of the book, but in this case I didn’t mind it as I felt I probably did read the best part.  The protagonist of the story, Richard Cypher, is trying to identify why/how his father was murdered and then is interrupted in that journey by saving the life of a maiden,  Kahlan Amnell, who was trying to be assassinated by a group of men.  When Richard learns that Kahlan is trying to find the first of the five wizards, Richard is brought into a new journey.  Of course the journey is reminiscent of the best adventures in movies/books – Raiders of the Lost Arc, The Hobbit, and Treasure Island.  At every turn Richard, Kahlan, and Richard’s friend Zedd (the first Wizard), go on their journey seeking out the evil Wizard who plans on ruling the world, Darken Ruhl.  Will Darken Ruhl be able to solve the mystery before the world will come to an end?  And if he does, all will be in his power, or will the upstart “Seeker” Richard get there in time to keep the world free from evil.  Oh yeah, let’s not forget the feelings of “deep love” that starts to evolve between the two lead characters, which of course is taboo because, well, I’ll leave that secret to be disclosed as you read! The adventure brings in lots of interesting characters, moments of exhilaration and defeat.  Remember in these type of stories there is a reason for every bit of information being shared, and it could come back to help Richard in the end, and also for the reader to be able to guess what will happen before it actually does.  I listened to this book on tape, a VERY LONG book!  But I have to say it really kept me interested as there was always another fascinating turn for our protagonist.  The ending was worth it… will evil prevail or will our hero save the day?  Hmmm… you’ll have to read to find out, but then again, more books in the story after #1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment