Saturday, August 31, 2013

Six of One




Rita Mae Brown’s Six of One tells the story of a group of women whose story spans from 1909 to 1980.  The story is set in the fictional town of Runnymede on the Mason Dixon line between Pennsylvania and Maryland (a really great part of the country having visited it many times while living in Washington, DC).  Louisa and Julia Ellen (Juts) are sisters who are bitter rivals from birthday party fiascos to competing with each other over attention from others.  The story also is aided by the influx of women characters that make you laugh, smile, cry, and maybe even raise an eyebrow.  Brown adds in social issues such as the sexuality of two women in a relationship, which back in its day probably would have been just as it was in this book.  I hear Southern women are a select brand and clearly Brown has significant lineage herself in this clan of women, otherwise I don’t think it would be so realistic.  While the vignettes were easy to read, I have to say I am not a big fan of the writing device of changing from one generation to the next – i.e. one chapter set in 1920 and the next in 1980.  Made it very confusing to keep the story straight and it was a huge detractor for me.  The reader also gained perspective into race, social issues, and the issue of wartime feelings (and the depression).  Overall, I was moved by some of the writings and changes that occurred by some of the characters, but then in the end I said, maybe I just can’t completely get this book, missing important pieces?  I guess I got distracted often and didn’t give the book as much of a chance as I could in putting all of the pieces together.  Taken chapter by chapter (from cat story to rolling around in bed and being listened to by the youngster) it works to some degree.  Moments of ahhh, and moments of “so what”….  You probably guessed, not in my top ten.     

No comments:

Post a Comment