Thursday, September 19, 2013

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds




When it comes to thinking about why and how the market can be played by smart financiers, no better book than the historical novel: Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Scottish journalist Charles Mackay.  The book was first published in 1841 and is broken into three subject sections:  "National Delusions," "Peculiar Follies," and "Philosophical Delusions."  The author chronicles the economic bubble and why illustrating the  South Sea Company bubble of 1711–1720, the Mississippi Company bubble of 1719–1720, and the Dutch tulip mania of the early seventeenth-century.  The reader gets an inside understanding of how speculators can change the market showing how tulips became the “new gold” of its time. While I am not a finance guy, I can see how this historical perspective can be helpful in understanding the trends and how our markets are affected by tried and true formulas.  While some of the stories are dated, certain concepts stay true yesterday, today, and I’d say tomorrow.  I can’t say this was the most engaging of reads for me, but again, finance isn’t my industry.  For those looking to understand concepts through stories of the past, go for it!  Give me a good novel anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment