Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish




Sometimes you read a book and you say, hmmm… ok, brilliant writing, but not my “cup of tea.”  I remember sitting in my Poetry course as an English major in undergrad at Fordham U and thinking, “hmm ok, great writing, but really, I don’t get it.”  Had some of the same feelings on this one from David Rakoff’s book called Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish, though there were a number of short “sections” that I did get and was “in awe,” but as a whole piece, left me a bit over my head.  Rakoff is best known from his work on This American Life (an NPR hour long radio show hosted by Ira Glass).  Rakoff was able to draw upon his many writings for the show and use some of this in his book.  Rakoff wrote the book right before his death at the young age of 47 from a long bout with cancer, which he also had earlier in his life.  The book, which I listened to on audiobook, was read by Rakoff just weeks before his death.  The vignettes captured and fulfilled all of the words in the title, from exhilaration (love) to all of the emotions that come with “dying”.  The book is written in verse, I am in awe of anyone who could write like that, but again, so tied to the novel, hard to really engage the way I wish I could, but maybe just not capable?  Not sure.  But hey, can this guy rhyme and write in couplet or what?  Yes, he can.  This book is for those whose moods are deeply moved by the words that you couldn’t write but knew it when you read it.  This is a very short read, but takes a while to get the most out of it.  I wish I could really get into it, I feel as if I am missing something – starting from the first moment to the last period.  When I say, I don’t get it, I don’t mean that I don’t get WHY the author writes it, it’s more about finding the line throughout and connecting the “dots” …  hmmm or maybe the dots being connected really doesn’t matter?  I think it’s starting to come together now …. Yes, still in awe!

No comments:

Post a Comment