Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Under the Banner of Heaven (Extra book)




I was excited to pick up another recommended favorite book of a friend when I saw that Jon Krakauer was the author.  I had read a few of his other books (see reviews) and was ready for this one.  Upon seeing the topical area, the history of the Mormon church and how one of its’ ultra-conservative members murders his brother’s wife and child, I thought ok… we’ll see.  The book’s title is Under the Banner of Heaven, a story of violent faith.  Krakauer is a solid writer and tells a good story, all non-fiction.  The story begins with the murder of a woman and her infant daughter by the brother of the woman’s husband and intertwines the history of the Mormon Church in the United States.  The “back and forth” of the history and the murder confused me a bit, not always sure why Krakauer felt compelled to  share how the murders were connected to the violence and “specific literal read” of the Bible.  While I learned a great deal about the faith traditions’ humble beginnings and the on-going fascination with polygamy, which helps create the demise of the woman and her child, I just never got that interested.  I felt I had heard this story on Dateline NBC a number of years ago, and to be perfectly honest, I wasn’t in the least bit interested.  Rarely have I really gotten close to putting a book down because I had absolutely no interest in the book in the least, I finished it.  Sometimes I will dislike a book because the characters are not connecting to me, or the story is slow, this one, just didn’t get pulled into the horrific bloody murder (which Krakauer is not afraid to provide the goriest details…. And then comes the details of polygamy – from the really young to the elder sisters and everyone in between, ugh!  For those interested in historical religious faith tradition stories, you may find this one compelling, otherwise if you haven’t read Krakauer’s other books, take this as a chance to get excited with Into the Wild or Into Thin Air.  I could have skipped this one and been happy to do so.  Sorry….

No comments:

Post a Comment