Saturday, February 22, 2014

Decide (Extra book)




How often do you get an email from a former student staff member who lets you know about his first book coming out and oh by the way, it is coming out as the number 2 the week of February 16, 2014!  And I just finished reading it.  Well, nice to hear the true voice of the author, Steve McClatchy, in his book Decide.  It was almost like he was reading it for me.  Steve is one of the most motivated and energetic people I have met in my life.  Steve is “grounded” in success and it was merely expected that he would in fact have solid and transformative information to share with others in how to improve some aspect of our lives.  In this case, it is how do we DECIDE to improve our professional life.  The book, like a number of “self-improvement” books I have read over my life time, provides simple straight-forward 1-2-3 on how to strategize for the creation of plan to “make it work.”  Steve has an impressive listing of recommendations to read the book – leaders in business industries, best-selling authors, and researchers on leadership.  His main “deliverables” from the book include: work smarter, reduce your stress, and lead by example.  Well, how does he do it?  He does it through personal stories from his family and “spot-on” real –life examples from his work environments.  Very compelling examples that any living person could relate to, not just the top level execs.  Steve begins with a brainstorming exercise to have the reader think through our “dreams” – which is really applicable to my work as a life coach – yes, life coaches can gain a good deal by sharing this book with your clients.  In fact, life coaches could take their clients one step forward in the “only exercise in the book” by connecting your dreams to your value set – ok, I digress.  From motivation, to burnout/balance, prioritizing to valuing what you do in your life all of this is covered in the realization that we ALL have the same amount of time in a given day – 24 hours.  It is how we DECIDE to use that time to meet our “gain” tasks vs. “prevent pain” tasks and then the strategies of learning how to use your calendar, help others allow you to focus, and of course a method to hold yourself accountable.  It may have been helpful to have some sort of “focused” reflection process as well.  I did appreciate the shout-out to thinking about a mentor, or life coach to assist in the process.  Yes, so important to have someone who helps us FOCUS on what it is we say we want to do.  It was surprising that a number of the things Steve talks about are embedded in my practice of life coaching for clients, using some-what different nomenclature.  Reaffirmed my practice!  Knowing Steve, I will highly promote this work and also his ability to TELL the story in person with energy and commitment.  A great read for younger professionals.  My favorite stories were the “family meal options” and of course the staff meeting posting the times people arrive late at meetings.  This is a quick read, much in the same vain as Covey’s Habits.  So simple ideas that we have to ask ourselves, WHY AREN’T WE DOING THEM….  Thanks Steve for putting it simply.  I know what I will be purchasing for my sons and my AnBryce scholars…

No comments:

Post a Comment