Thursday, June 24, 2010

Beasts of No Nation



A number of books I have been suggested to read are from the genre of war-torn areas and children who were raised to kill.  Iweala’s book was a quick read that challenged me as a reader (one who was raised in suburbia upstate NY) that a world as dark and distorted as his experience is all over the world.  I am saddened by the way children are dragged into a world of drugs, abuse, and complete disregard.  I only hope I have taught my children not to continue the legacy of abuse.  This being my first entry I have to think about the voice and the tone I want to create for sharing my thoughts on books… so give me a little time.  Easy to read in short periods with a break.  Violence is not something I relish reading…. 28 year-old writer.  Impressive to have that much perspective at such a young age, though travel is a recipe for knowledge and perspective taking.  Go abroad all.  You will be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment