Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Partner

So I went another direction in reading today….  Got up and off to a conference with my son Alex (whom I hope gets the reading bug soon…. another story for another day).  We were off to Austin.  OK – WHO ever said Austin has anything to do???  When we went to the concierge at the hotel to ask what should we do, are there any stores?  Only 4 women’s clothes stores? Ok?  How about renting a car to visit the area?  Sorry, the car rentals closed at 1pm Saturday?  What is up with this place?  Sorry friends from outside NYC.  Seriously hard to compare any city in relation to NYC.  So I think this will be boring for Alex.  But on the reading front: 3 hour flight and I got into John Grisham’s The Partner.  So much so I couldn’t put down.  This guy can write!  What an intricate and involved mystery thriller.  I finished the book while Alex fell asleep watching the World Cup – soccer (nuff said! – no more “soccer is so exciting" please!).  Grisham is a brilliant writer.  Reminded me of Dan Brown’s work Angels and Demons, never seems to end and always another twist.  For those who haven’t finished the book, stop reading as I give my thoughts on the ending (Spoilers Ahead)……

 

Ok, great book, BUT what are you doing, John?  The ending, PLEASE.  No way.  No way is she going to disappear.  Why?  I’m sorry but does not fit with the book.  I am partial to a complete, nice ending book so I can see why people might disagree with me, BUT does he really need to end it with Eva/Leah taking off with the money?  Why would she have gone through all of this, freak out about her father’s disappearance and then disappear herself? Ending does not fit with the character’s motivation throughout.  Horrible way to end a great story.  Reminds me of the opposite of 100 Years of Solitude, a book many RAs loved but not so much for me, except that Marquez ended his book beautifully.  Grisham, you need to fix ending of The Partner.  Have her die on the plane flight back? Or realize that her husband who died in a plane crash actually didn’t… but disappear?  Not realistic.  Sorry…

No comments:

Post a Comment