Friday, June 25, 2010

Here's What I'm Reading & Some of My Favorites

So people often ask me, what type of books are my favorites to read?  As you can see from the list it is pretty eclectic for sure.  The Sci-fi type have grown on me to be honest.  At first I didn’t care for them, but Fahrenheit 451 was a good read – kind of sci-fi, right?  The Dune series and of course Ender’s Game were pretty good!  I am actually most partial to the fiction story.  The “chick-flicks” (Eat Pray Love, Summer Sisters), not so much!  You’ll get a good feel for my favorites as time goes on.
I am now in the midst of reading /listening to (oh yeah, I forgot to say I do cheat in the sense I listen to about 10% of the books on tape) the epic Biography of Alexander Hamilton.
 

I am actually enjoying it.  My son is a history buff so we do have some good conversations on the book.  Hard to believe that NYC was wilderness 200 years ago.  I can’t seem to find much space to bring my dog (yes, we just got a puppy last week! – a lab/border collie) that has grass.  The dog runs are so gross.  The smell and the feeling of being around people who are now like you is not so fun to think about.  More on that another time.  Hamilton was a brilliant man and the architect for so much of what we have as freedoms in our life.   Off to Texas for a conference in the coming week.  But I will be sending my comments on Hamilton (and will be starting a new book tomorrow from the plane), yes I usually read 2-3 simultaneously.  Hoping the new RAs provide some good new books to read.  (So far a few to whet your appetite to be added to the list: The Lorax and The View from Saturday).  Feel free to comment on which books I should move up on the list to read – right now it is between Shoal of Time or Anne of Green Gables. What do you suggest???

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your puppy! He/she will change your life:-) My husband - a history teacher - also reads 2 or 3 books at a time. I am currently reading Margaret Atwood's "The Year of the Flood". Not very uplifting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank.. we need it! I read Atwood's Tha Handmaid's Tale... thumbs up! if you haven't read that. Thirteenth Tale from Atwood is on my list upcoming!

    ReplyDelete