Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon


A very far departure from the vast majority of RAs I have interviewed as it relates to the book I have just finished, Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett.  This is not a book one should pick up after a stressful day in the office looking for some light reading, nor if you want to throw a book into the car to bring to the beach, NO, don’t do it!  Breaking the Spell is a theoretical review of the history of religion, written from the context of an atheist.  Dennett makes the argument that the vast majority of our society is relying on a socially constructed phenomenon, known as religion, and we should rethink the merits of such, shall I say, heresy.  Dennett makes well documented points relating to the “right-wing” thinking of the extremists who are NOT, in his opinion, being held accountable by the moderates within the various religious constructs of our society.  He draws upon a large set of writing and research, including his own (a wee too much I’d say), to support his points.  As you can probably tell by my writing I have religious beliefs so this was a challenge to read, though he did make me pause about what it is I should be doing as a member of a religious community.  Having had a number of challenges in my life and been granted a "good life," I have some disagreement with Dennett.  As a life coach, I try not to preach my personal beliefs to others, I gently help them find their voice and motivation  Likewise, Dennett should not try and attempt to place ALL people committed to a religious persuasion in the same boat.  Isn't that exactly what he is trying to fight against?  This is a textbook for a philosophy class and gives the reader a perspective to think about.  Clearly one needs to be in the right state of mind to read it.  While I can’t say I was completely swayed, I found Dennett convincing and presented data worth reflection.  I applaud a student for being so reflective to make a book like this their favorite.  Thinking at this level is really what makes good people smarter and committed to something, which I applaud.     

No comments:

Post a Comment