Friday, January 28, 2011

The Thinking Body


I have read all types of books during this journey of trying to understand what a “favorite book really is” so one never knows what to expect.  Well, this one is really weird, sorry RA who gave this to me… The Thinking Body by Mabel Todd, published in 1937.  It seems pretty dated, since it is a book on… your body, specifically the bones, how they move and how to get the most out of them.  Todd’s work was lauded by dancers and health care professionals (great pictures of the skeleton, how bones should move, etc.).  I learned a good deal about how my breathing affects the mechanics of my skeleton and even some good posture tips.  I’m thinking whoever suggested this book, must be a dancer.  It is purely an anatomy book.  Weird, maybe a required reading for the “science-light” dancing program, I have no idea.  Is this a book I would recommend any of you reading?  NO.  Not even dancers.  While it is a seminal work, I think your $20 co-pay to your doctor could adequately inform you of your posture and the role your approach to keep your bones in good repair.  Skip this… I’ll need to see who actually said this and send them a note, REALLY?  What jazzed you about this work?  Getting close to only 100 books left – though 8 new RAs just hired, so thinking it may be 2-3 weeks to get under 100.  All good.  Reading a good one now.  I’ll get it posted this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment