Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)


And one more bonus book! I had to finish off the trilogy of the Hunger Games with Mockingjay. Once again the dynamic duo are faced with all kinds of challenges, such as District 13 is alive and well but programmed in a completely different way, almost like communism in some respects. All people are forced to do their jobs that are programmed for them each day.  They wake up and go to the “roll call.”  Breakfast is just food to get you by, based on what role you perform and how many calories you need. Katniss agrees to become the Mockingjay, the symbol of the rebellion against the capitol. The leadership from District 13, President Coin, uses Katniss as a pawn in trying to get the rebels to fight against the Capitol, while Peeta is used as a pawn by the Capitol to try and stop the revolution, though he is brainwashed during the ordeal. Peeta is rescued but we learn his brainwashing has him revolt against Katniss as the evil one and he attempts to kill her. Katniss gets to assist in the final breakdown of the Capitol, but like all drama, she is no longer needed and the President is discovered to have used her sister, Prim, in a similar way. More drama... you can tell I’m not loving this end of the trilogy. Lots of characters die, the world seems to turn upside down and then finally settles, but at a huge cost, especially to Katniss. So what happens between Katniss and Peeta, Katniss and her long love from District 12, Gale. I was hoping for one outcome, and you know what, it happened, though way too much drawn out drama in this book for me. Stick to the intrigue and build it upon the story. The love relationships turn out to be as I had imagined it would, but the way it got there, hmmm not so much. I hear that this book is turning into a movie which I will watch, probably on Netflix, but not sure I’ll see the last book. Disappointing. The mockingjay piece was overplayed and a bit over the top. As you can see, I’d probably skip this chapter. Give me a call and I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment