Thursday, February 3, 2011

On the Road


When I think of books representing their time, On the Road by Jack Kerouac would certainly be up at the top.  While it is hailed in the Top 100 all-time book lists, I would say, hmmm… really?  Don’t get me wrong, much of his prose and matter of fact story telling reminds me of my favorite author, Hemingway, I just don’t find the actual story itself all that interesting.  Give me Gatsby, or Hemingway himself in his autobiographical tales.  I just am not that connected to the characters, though the journeys of going across the country give a feel for what 1940/50s America must have been like, a glimpse into city life.  NYC to San Fran/LA and back, and back again, don’t forget Denver, Texas, Chicago, and even Pittsburgh (GO STEELERS!).  The reader lives the life of hitchhiked trips, little money, love/sex, friendship, drugs, music, and the culture found in different locations in the US.  Sal (who really is Jack K) and his buddy Dean Moriarty (the son of a wino!) travel across the country and learn that life is the road.  We are introduced to Dean’s friends, Carlo and Remi, they get jobs together, share mistresses, and love for adventure, music, and a good drink!  Some things never change in the culture of US hey?  Sal’s story begins and ends thinking of his friend Dean, either how he has built him up in his own mind, or the role he plays for Sal to keep moving in life.  The depth of friendship, the role of the “mystical West” as it clearly was in the time, and how non-majority groups have been exploited are certainly themes found within this book.  It served as a influencer on many other authors of its time.  I guess that time period does little for me at this moment in my life, so not a top 100 for me, but can see why it was and why people would want to know more about the “wanderer” looking for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment