Friday, February 4, 2011

Wonder of the World


I usually don’t really enjoy the reading of a play, but I thought Wonder of the World by David Lindsay-Abaire was quite funny and engaging.  The story revolves around the seven year “end” of the marriage between Kip and Cass.  A funny side note, when it opened in Washington, DC the star was Deb Gottesman (who was an actress in my thesis play way back in the day at Catholic U.).  Hope you are well Deb (she is an excellent actress who I really can envision in the lead role of Cass).  On Broadway, Sarah Jessica Parker played the role.  Back to the story…  the play opens when Cass is packing to leave her husband Kip (who surprises her with bringing lunch home).  Too late Kip…  Cass abruptly leaves and gets on a bus to… Niagara Falls.  She decides to live out her “bucket-list” of things to do.  First by finding a “side-kick,” Lois, a stranger on the bus, who happens to be an alcoholic whose husband left her.  The two have an adventurous time at the Falls and even find other friends, who happen to be PIs hired by Kip to find his wife.  Cass falls in love, or should I say, has an affair with the captain of the Lady of the Mist, the boat that goes under the falls.  All hell breaks loose when Kip comes to get his wife back.  One of the more funny moments is when we learn why Cass leaves Kip… should I reveal it?  Well it has to do with weird sexual fantasies with Barbie doll heads, weird stuff!  I can see how this play would do well on the stage. It reads fast and since it has so few characters, it isn’t a bad read as a play.  There are some really funny lines in the play.  I did enjoy this a great deal!  Nice job my Tisch friends!  Who says you need to read a book, huh?


No comments:

Post a Comment