Thursday, October 9, 2014

Gender Trouble




A philosophical book on the current thinking (albeit 1990) on gender roles, sexual orientation, and all that encompasses (political viewpoints, language changes, and the intersectionality that exists between all of the above) is featured in Gender Trouble by Judith Butler.  It contains three parts, reads like three separate essays on the complex issues related to women (a rebuttal to the feminist theorists on the categorization of identity) and moves into a more progressive view on gender and identity.  The author examines the works of well-established theorists such as Simone de Beauvoir, Luce Irigaray, Claude Levi-Strauss, Joan Riviere, Sigmund Freud, Jacques Lacan, and Michael Foucault to compare and contrast her thoughts on the topic.  The book gives a view into the challenges of generalizing the complexity of race, gender, and sexuality of females.  I am usually more excited to read novels than “text-book” philosophical reads, albeit an area in which I am pretty unschooled.  I’ll be honest, I needed to strain and be very present to get through this book after completing two young adult reads.  One of my scholars scolded me for not being as excited about this read.  This is a hard topic to get your mind around so that in itself made it most challenging.  Well, as I’ve noted previously if I like the book, I can’t put it down.  Thanks to the LGBTQ Office at NYU for providing the book for me to read.   I will say it opened my mind to the various perspectives and intricacies on a topic that I have not spent a lot of time reading.  The author’s use of gaining multiple perspectives and counter thoughts to her own demonstrated her depth of research, I loved the reprinted version with a second forward to the original.  I am always impressed when authors rethink their position and let the reader know where they were “mentally” during the first edition and how their learning has moved them a bit into a new direction.  A classic for feminist and third-wave feminism.  Not the kind of book you read while on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment