Sunday, November 5, 2017

Alamut

Alamut
by Judith Tarr

This was a hard one to wrap my head around, partially because it’s hard to listen to a book over a long period of time and especially so when you are also reading books at the same time. Three of my last six books on the RA Favorite list are connected to the Muslim religion.  Enter the world of Alamut by Judith Tarr. (Note: I only listened to book one, so I can’t tell you how it all ends.) Set in the 11th century, a war between the young King (representing the Islamic state) versus the stronghold, Saladin. It is a war representing two religions, and stuck in the middle is Prince Aidan.  The Prince is taken with the beautiful Morgiana, who is some sort of spirit (not human nor mortal).  She lures him into her bed, though he is already betrothed to another who is with child.  The battle between religions, temptation of beauty, and the inner struggle of doing the right thing all make for a compelling story.  In the end, the beautiful Morgiana shows up, unexpectedly demanding to keep Aidan for her own.  I guess I should read part two…but part one didn’t lure me in enough.  Aidan, the enemies in battle, the various wives and lovers made for some confusing storylines….  I’ll take a pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment