Thursday, July 18, 2019

Memories of Peking: South Side Stories


Memories of Peking: South Side Stories
by Lin Haiyin

Sometimes you find that wonderful book that makes all the ‘not great’ books worth reading.  Thanks to the RA who suggested Memories of Peking – South Side Stories by Lin Haiyin.  The book is a series of short stories that follow the timeline of issues facing the author at age six.  It is a series of childhood memories capturing her early days living in an urban center facing loneliness, distinguishing ‘good’ from ‘bad’, and reflecting on the people who have brief but meaningful impacts in her life.  It is a book that brings me back to my own childhood, recall the few ‘characters’ who I still think about today, and made me appreciate the aspects that make me unique.  Whether it be the local butcher, Ralph (whom I met in 2nd grade before he moved away), or the substitute teacher who smiled and approved of the work I did, these were the people who provided touch points to my youth.  You will find the stories sad, touching, and they will make you yearn for more.  I can see why this remains a classic in Chinese culture.  A great book to go back in time and appreciate those who helped us get where we are, but also to help us reflect on people who shaped our ‘arc of life’.  It is a very quick read – six short stories, all interconnected, with a very sad ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment