Friday, July 12, 2019

You are a Badass


You are a Badass - How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
by Jen Sincero

Finished another RA Favorite book, a self-help read called You are a Badass by Jen Sincero.  The author attempts to shock the reader with jolting language early on, suggesting the reader needs to be “a new you!” through gaining a swagger.  I found the book, by this self-described life-coach, to have almost all of the ‘tried-and-true’ ideas utilized by coaches but with flare for the dramatic.  The book is broken into five parts with numerous chapters in each section.  I found the flow disjointed and felt it needed an easier breakdown to get the quick lessons that were being presented.  Her chapters opened with a brief quote from different famous authors.  Many of her philosophies were what I have read by numerous other “get your life together NOW” authors.  While it appeared she was going to present a new approach, I didn’t really find any.  Additionally, her prose was long-winded and the stories were drawn from her own experience with limited features to cement the ideas into the reader’s mind.  You can tell I didn’t find this to be the most helpful of “self-help” books, though her list of resources in the back had many of those I do enjoy.  If you are looking for a more memorable book for helping you move forward, try Barbara Sher’s I Could Do Anything, If I Only Knew How. I’d pass on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment