Friday, September 24, 2010

1,000 RAs Interviewed!


What a wonderful day!  It was a special one in the onset of this project, yes to meet each RA.  So when I am constantly asked, why do I do this?  I respond, “a long time ago, when I attended some management leadership seminar, someone said that if you are afforded the opportunity to meet every person in your organization, I should try and do so.”  Well, that is one answer, the other reason is the chance I get to interact with the most amazing group of students that one could ever imagine.  Today was a special day.  I met my 1,000th RA since I began this project.  Shantum, an RA in Third North, is a great guy.  His favorite book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull – a great read – I had already finished and was able to ask some in depth questions about why this one?  And true to form, Shantum made me once again realize why I do this work…  working with outstanding students. So I asked him why was J.S.L. his favorite book and he explained it much as the bird who learned to soar to heights and pushing himself to do the things others never thought he could.  An inspirational meeting with an inspiring young man.  What have a learned about the 1,000 interviews?  NYU attracts smart, diverse students who will change health care policy, education reform leaders, world travelers, Broadway stars, millionaires, politicians, writers, and of course people with an ethic of care and independent thinkers.  So I count myself lucky to be here!

2 comments: