Friday, September 10, 2010

Wake Up Sir!


Happy 60th anniversary to my parents!  Tomorrow is the big party.  Today finished reading Wake Up Sir! Hmmm.  Another alcoholic/pot smoking/can’t get my life under control story.  It’s interesting how often this tale is told.  The imaginary servant “Jeeves” adds an extra piece to this emotionally drained protagonist, Alan Blair.  Jeeves is a fictional character in the short stories and novels of P. G. Wodehouse, being the "gentleman's personal gentleman" or valet – kind of creepy if you ask me (not to mention a rip-off from Wodehouse…).  Interesting to note the locations of this tale are all places that I know well, Montclair, New Jersey (uppity upperclass community), Sharon Springs (resort area in the Catskills), and Saratoga Springs (the art colony) and yes, uppity summer resort for the rich and famous.  The cover of this novel gives the reader the idea that this is a “hilarious” read. Well if you are using the Albany Times Union as one of your reviews, can’t be a good sign.  Did I laugh, a few times, more like “duhhh” ok…  No, not that funny.  The book was a quick read, luckily, as I enjoyed where the author was taking us, but then the ending left me hum “being hit over the head by a concrete slab”.  Too bad Alan Blair wasn’t at the end of this story.  Alcoholics tend to be in high praise for RA favorite books.  While I didn’t fall asleep – as the title would suggest “Wake up, Sir” – I wish that the character did.  Oh and I forgot to mention the whole crabs (yes crabs, not the kind you eat either) incident…  a chuckle for that one for sure.  Add this one to the list, but not to my list.  I hope the author’s other books bring the reader on just as interesting journey, but ends somewhere else.  This is a skip, unless you enjoy the perils of the lost.  

No comments:

Post a Comment