Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time


Hmmm… well, just finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.  Interesting story about a child (Christopher) with autism who faces death, loss, misunderstandings, and the mysteries of disappearance and intrigue.  What a world it must be to see life from a completely different way than most.  The mystery of how someone with autism is so intelligent, literal, and alone.  This is a book that the initial mystery of the death of the neighbor’s dog is solved early and then the aftershock of how the dog dies is revealed which leads Christopher to a journey to find safety.  I will say that while I was brought into the story, I didn’t necessarily think that Christopher’s response to the characters (Mother and Father) made complete sense to me in the end.  While I didn’t anticipate a “kumbaya” ending – I did think the “let’s throw a puppy” to make all things better was a cheap ending!  The story was compelling, the ending less so.  Can read this one in 3-4 hours.  Not on the top of the list, but if nothing else to read, it’s ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment