Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Nanny Diaries


It is a great feeling to read a book and see the authors are alums of the institution I work, NYU!  Today’s read, The Nanny Diaries, was about a student of NYU (Nanny) who becomes a nanny to a wealthy Upper East Side family (If this is an autobiographical story, which it is penned to be, how scary!!!).  Nanny is the only “parental figure,” poor 4 year old Grayer's Mom (a philandering uber-rich “have no time for my son”) and Dad (conartist!) are so self absorbed with their own social standing that they forget they actually have some responsibility for their son.  Throw in a love affair with a neighbor (Harvard Hottie) and Nanny has some challenges.  She gives her life to Grayer and is later let go by the X’s (love how the author has disguised the guilty!).  The “Nanny Cam” twist shows that good can overcome evil.  How could I not enjoy this quick read written by NYU’s alums from the Gallatin School of Individualized Study.  It also gives a glimpse into the rich and “infamous”… shame on you parents who don’t love the fact that you are a parent.  The most important role I can play is having some impact on the value set my children will have in their life.  Good read!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, I thought the sly humor was well done. Until the last 5 pages or so, then being a parent I hated it

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... yup. Amazing how this topic became a best selling book huh? Go NYU ALums

    ReplyDelete