Monday, November 29, 2010

Gilgamesh


So strange to be back to work after a four day respite.  Welcome to Monday!  Nice to see and feel the bustle of campus life.  I don’t often talk about the work I do over the blog, but I am blessed.  I have a great position and work at a great institution.  NYU has everything one could ask for... great students, great faculty, and in a great city!  So let’s get to the reading, huh?  The oldest story of all time, well some say… Gilgamesh.  I know there are numerous versions translated but this version was quite short in duration, from my standpoint – especially since I listened to it on tape.  The translator’s notes were longer than the story.  It was a wonderful read in terms of the story of friendship, immortality (or seeking immortality), experiencing the physical expression of love/companionship,  strength, seeking to be the best and responding to the Gods.  Had a little of everything.  Gilgamesh was the absolute epitome of strength and was challenged when Enkidu, a younger version of himself, came forward.  Together they traversed the world to rid their country of an impending force of Humbaba and later the Bull of Heaven.  When his dear companion Enkidu dies, he seeks to find the secret of eternal life but what he finds out is what we all will find at the end of the journey, “there is an end!”  Certainly is a pre-cursor to the stories we read daily just different backdrops.  I hadn’t read this one since high school.  Great to be re-introduced to it.  Add it to the list!  

No comments:

Post a Comment