Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Hunger Games


An excellent listen!  As we drove up to upstate NY, I had the chance to listen to a great future (apocalyptic) read… The Hunger Games.  The story was engaging, loved the characters, and the thrill of what would happen next.  The story had it all, except for the ending was not what I thought it would be, except to say, I’m sure there will be a sequel, too much left up in the air (JUST GOOGLED it, yes it is one of three books! Am I smart or what?).  The Hunger Games was the 2120 type “Olympic games”… but with a huge twist.  The winner is the one who kills the other 23 kids from the other districts.  The protagonist (Katniss) is not chosen to lead her district, rather she stands in for her little sister who was chosen.   Katniss and her partner, Peeta, come from District 12, the poorest of the 12 districts in the country (which was North America), now called Panem.  Once chosen for the tournament we experience the pre-game parades, interviews, and then the main event.  Death is not becoming, especially when you fall in love.  Unfortunately no RA has placed the second book as a favorite?  Oh dear!  A very good listen, and I’m sure just as good a book.  High marks!  But now I want to read the second book….  I guess I have to wait until I get through the next 140+ books first.  

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book, and this whole series. I read all of them (Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) enthusiastically, even though they are published by scholastic and obviously aimed at a developing teen/ young adult crowd. It reminded me of Stephen King's "Long Walk" and "Running Man". Great books.

    ReplyDelete